Kid at Heart
Many of us are kids at heart and when we are around our grandchildren or young children we want to join in the play. One fantastic way to provide a fun and safe activity is to make home-made play dough. The recipe below is provided by Crafts for Kids and is no-bake and is all natural. No one wants to be a responsible grown up all the time!
- large mixing bowl
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups flour
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of cooking oil (we used Canola)
- 1 1/2 cups of salt
- food coloring (we used red and blue to make purple)
- glitter (optional)
- Pour water into a large mixing bowl.
- Next add food coloring.We added generous amounts of red and blue food coloring to make purple, which seemed like a galactic color! Once you add the food coloring to the water, stir well.
- Add the dry ingredients( flour and salt) to the mix. You can stir a little at this point to begin blending the ingredients.
- Next, add 2 to 4 tablespoons of oil.You can add more oil later if the mix seems too dry. Oil is the secret to keeping this “no cooking required” recipe soft! If you don’t add enough oil, the mix will be very crumbly.
- This next step is a big hit with kids!Add generous amounts of glitter to your mix and begin mixing everything together.
- Knead the ingredients together until a soft dough is formed.
To store, simply roll the dough into small balls and keep in plastic bags or a plastic container!